Sunday, February 8, 2015

Blog Entry #1- Blog or Blah?

Have you ever found yourself reading a book and you get through half the page and forget what you had just read? Sometimes it's not that your mind wanders, it's that you just can not manage to pay attention. The words you're reading just don't interest you. You're bored. This is when the writer lost you. It could be that the topics or things we find interesting or that we can relate to is what entertains us.

Before I rent or purchase a book, I always read the prologue and the first three pages of the book. If the author hasn't captured me by then, I don't get the book. Simple as that. Not that I give up that easy or anything. I have just found that I get bored fast. Maybe it's our culture, this generation?  Maybe it's just me? Who knows? What I do know is that for me, the same goes for peoples blogs. If the blog is not easy to read and all over the place, I get lost. I'm usually browsing social media to find information out and advertise more than to read about your life. Don't get me wrong. I'm still very much interested in your life, but can we keep that to maybe moderate amount or limited that's important and significant to whatever your blogging about? I'm here for inspiration, motivation, information, organization and captivation.

Let's start with Jenny Lawsons Blog: The Blogess. http://thebloggess.com/ I've included the link to her Blog so you can witness and read this for yourself... Did you get lost? Yea, me too. Woah! What is going on here? She has a WHOLE LOT of personality in such small writings. I didn't even know what I was reading. She goes back and forth all over the place in her blog. Don't get me wrong she seems like a nice girl, but I think sometimes my personality is so mellow I have a hard time coping with someone so hyper. So "bouncy"personalities.  For example here on one of Lawsons blog categories "Let's pretend this never happened, http://thebloggess.com/lets-pretend-this-never-happened-a-mostly-true-memoir/  is the tab that you would think is about her book called "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" right? She tells you like 20 reasons why you should go buy the book but never really what her book is actually about. It is not until you reach the very end of the page that it finally does give a TWO SENTENCE prologue. You lost me there Lawson.

Now on the other hand I fell in love with Heidi Swansons Blog: 101 Cookbooks. http://www.101cookbooks.com/ Maybe I'm being biased because as many of you know I absolutely LOVE cooking and she's also a photographer! Another one of us "art-junkies." Her blog is so organized and easy to go through. Swanson's blog not only is a journal, but in fact a cookbook too! How awesome is that!?  Since Lawson is also a photographer she includes photos of her work! Which makes it so entertaining. Her work is flawless and elegant. That right there is what captivated me. You could say it's "my cup of tea."  The cookbook part categorized by ingredient, season, travel, etc. is easy to get around and simple and straight to the point. Exactly what I wanted. For example her in one of her posts about her salad, http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/feta-oregano-salad-recipe.html she includes the title of the recipe, photos of the dish and various ingredients. She also added her life/story that makes it her own by added only a few more photos that tell her story or moment. The information was informative and entertaining.

It appears that I am attracted to more professional/ informative blogs. I'm a visual person and I need something with a lot of and pictures/hyperlinks/examples to give me something other than text to learn from. What are your favorite type of blogs? Can you include an example and why?

2 comments:

  1. I like how 101 Cookbooks layout, it look so classic. one thing I don't like about is the recipes on the lift side. I love images too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an intriguing set up in this entry but you never mention that you will be discussing blogs; you need to get to this before you dive into your review of the blogs.

    You say you are a visual person but you didn't include any visual support in this post!

    ReplyDelete